Decision No 1386/2013/EU on a General Union Environment Action Programme to 2020 ‘Living well, within the limits of our planet’
|Name of policy||Decision No 1386/2013/EU on a General Union Environment Action Programme to 2020 ‘Living well, within the limits of our planet’|
|Subnational region or state||—|
|City or local||—|
|Type of policy instrument|
|Policy description|| The Decision No 1386/2013/EU adopts a general Union action programme in the field of the environment for the period up to 31 December 2020. This programme is called "the 7th Environment Action programme" (7th EAP).
• to protect, conserve and enhance the Union’s natural capital;
• to turn the Union into a resource-efficient, green and competitive low-carbon economy;
• to safeguard the Union’s citizens from environment-related pressures and risks to health and well-being;
• to maximise the benefits of Union environment legislation by improving implementation;
• to improve the knowledge and evidence base for Union environment policy;
• to secure investment for environment and climate policy and address environmental externalities;
• to improve environmental integration and policy coherence;
• to enhance the sustainability of the Union’s cities;
• to increase the Union’s effectiveness in addressing international environmental and climate-related challenges.
Art. 33 of the 7th Environment Action Programme sets the target of reducing GHG emissions by 80 % to 95 % by mid-century, compared to 1990 levels, at a Union level. To achieve this target, "Member States need to develop and put in place long-term, cost-effective low-carbon development strategies".
|Date of decision||2013|
|Start date of implementation||—|
|End date of implementation||—|
|Impact indicator|| |
|Source or references||https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32013D1386&from=EN|
|Is supported by policies|
|Comments (background and assessment)||—|