Nigeria Renewable Energy Master Plan Nigeria 2011

Name of policy Nigeria Renewable Energy Master Plan
Jurisdiction Country
Supranational region
Country Nigeria
Region Africa


Subnational region or state
City or local
Policy objective
  • Mitigation
  • Adaptation
Type of policy instrument
  • Economic Instruments
    • Fiscal or financial incentives
      • Tax relief
    • Direct investment
      • Infrastructure investments
  • Target
    • Renewable energy target
      • Political & non-binding renewable energy target
  • Policy support
    • Strategic planning
    Sector name
    • Electricity and heat
      • Renewables
    Policy description Increase the supply of renewable electricity from 13% of total electricity generation in 2015 to 23% in 2025 and 36% by 2030. Also additional capacity targets for RE sources.
    Policy type
    • Renewables1
    Policy stringency
    Implementation state Implemented
    Date of decision 2011
    Start date of implementation
    End date of implementation
    High impact No
    Impact indicator
    NameValueBase yearTarget yearComments
    Share of renewables (%)362,030Share of renewable in electricity production


    Source or references http://www.iea.org/policiesandmeasures/pams/nigeria/name-24808-en.php?s=dHlwZT1yZSZzdGF0dXM9T2s,&return=PGRpdiBjbGFzcz0ic3ViTWVudSI-PGRpdiBjbGFzcz0iYnJlYWRjcnVtYnMiPjxhIGhyZWY9Ii8iPkludGVybmF0aW9uYWwgRW5lcmd5IEFnZW5jeSZ6d25qOzwvYT4mbmJzcDsmZ3Q7Jm5ic3A7PGEgaHJlZj0iL3BvbGljaWVzYW5kbWVhc3VyZXMvIj5Qb2xpY2llcyBhbmQgTWVhc3VyZXM8L2E-Jm5ic3A7Jmd0OzxhIGhyZWY9Ii9wb2xpY2llc2FuZG1lYXN1cmVzL3JlbmV3YWJsZWVuZXJneS9pbmRleC5waHAiPiZuYnNwO1JlbmV3YWJsZSBFbmVyZ3k8L2E-Jm5ic3A7Jmd0OyZuYnNwO1NlYXJjaCBSZXN1bHQ8L2Rpdj4,
    Supports policies
    Is supported by policies
    Comments (background and assessment)
    Status Final

    Download this policy as Excel file



    "{{{Base_year}}}" is not a number.